Current:Home > ContactPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -ValueCore
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 12:31:18
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1516)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Olympic champion Tara Lipinski talks infertility journey: 'Something that I carry with me'
- Travis Kelce responds to typo on Chiefs' Super Bowl ring: 'I don’t give a (expletive)'
- Witnesses say Ohio man demanded Jeep before he stabbed couple at a Nebraska interstate rest area
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- NBA mock draft: Zaccharie Risacher, Alex Sarr sit 1-2; two players make debuts
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signs bill targeting addictive social media platforms: Our kids are in distress
- Kevin Costner on his saga, Horizon, and a possible return to Yellowstone
- Average rate on 30
- Peace must be a priority, say Catholic leaders on anniversary of priests’ violent deaths in Mexico
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Ariana Grande addresses viral vocal change clip from podcast: 'I've always done this'
- Howie Mandel's wife had a gruesome injury while tipsy. Alcohol injuries are a huge issue
- CDK Global shuts down car dealership software after cyberattack
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Hall of Famer Michael Irvin says wife Sandy suffers from early onset Alzheimer’s
- What Lindsay Hubbard Did With Her 3 Wedding Dresses After Carl Radke Breakup
- Maps show path of Alberto, hurricane season's first named storm, as it moves over Mexico
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
New York moves to limit ‘addictive’ social media feeds for kids
Kylie Jenner cries over 'exhausting' comments saying she looks 'old'
How Rickwood Field was renovated for historic MLB game: 'We maintained the magic'
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
What Lindsay Hubbard Did With Her 3 Wedding Dresses After Carl Radke Breakup
How to change Siri and Alexa's voice: Switch up how your Google assistant talks
2025 Honda Odyssey: Everything we know about the next minivan